Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How I Make a Doll Pattern and a Craft Fail!


I’ve been working on a new doll pattern and I thought I would share with you what I get up to. There’s a lot of trial and error, or in my case on this particular day, craft failure!!!

I start with a sketch, then move over to an accurate tester pattern that I draw up by hand. When you have been making patterns for a while, you like to think you know what shapes a 2D pattern will create in 3D, but alas, I am still surprised!!



I don’t make the entire doll at this stage as I am ironing out the kinks, why waste your time and material if you know something’s a bit dodgy. As you can see from my test dolly head (I just use scrap cotton and draw on the detail face placements with a fabric marker) her hair was not the rounded cute bob I was going after but a pointy mess (left side) …. A few snips and runs on my machine and you can see the right hand side is looking better …..

Here’s where the craft fail really came to a head …..



Moral of the story, never cut over arm and leg pattern pieces in your excitement to test out other sections of your pattern ….. you’ll only add to your frustration!

And the update, well after a lot of sticky tape and a few naughty words two days later I am loving the look of my new dress up dolly!!!  Ok back to sewing i go!!





Take Care and Happy Crafting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails