Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Recycled Sugar Plum Fairy Christmas Stocking!


My little girl's New Sugar Plum Fairy Christmas Stocking!

Take one Crown Royal (Bourbon Drink) felt bag, trace around an old stocking on some fabric and decorate to your heart’s content!


What you'll need:

1 Crown Royal bag.
Felt.
I had this fab fabric left over from another project perfect for the stocking.
Sewing machines helpful but you could do it by hand.
Sequins, beads or other embellishments.
Acrylics.
Tacky glue.


How I made it:

I drew around a stocking I already had and added a 1/4 inch for the seam.
Pinned it inside out and sewed around it.
Cut the top of the Crown Royal bag off, pinned the raw end underneath and placed in over the top of the stocking (now turned the right way) so that it looked like the cuff and sewed everything together in one shot. Quick and easy! This took care of all my raw edges!
I also added the beaded trim (Tacky glue and a few stitches).


I sketched out the 3 pieces I wanted to make out of felt – a Christmas tree, a cupcake and the sugar plum fairy - and started piecing them together.

Update: I freehanded my fairy so I don’t have a pattern to share however you could easily use The Enchanted Gallery’s Paper Doll Template. Just print and cut out the head attach it to the torso, arms and legs and position them as you wish!

Tacky glue is fabulous and fast for keeping everything in place. Sew it all down for extra strength if you like. I did use a double layer of felt for the fairy stuck together with glue …. just to make her look a little less 2D. And I used a few pieces of plastic tissue paper over white felt for her wings.... hmmm shiny!!!




Paint the fairy’s face and details with acrylics but you could always embroider a cute face.
I just kept adding …. and adding....
A little girl can never have too much sparkle on her stocking!


 Happy Sewing from Sarah
Related Posts with Thumbnails