Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pricing & Selling your Dolls and Softies


As you all know I allow for everyone that purchases my sewing patterns to sell items made from them in limited quantities and I’m often asked what price someone should be selling them at. How is it that one person sells a doll at $30 and another at $40 when they are using the same pattern?

Well here’s how I price my finished dolls:




I take into account my Material Cost.

How much was my cotton, felt, stuffing etc.   For example: If someone were to use a wool felt compared to a craft felt (I don’t recommend craft felt!) it’s much more expensive, but the client gets a superior doll that will last longer, so you need to factor the price difference in.

Different stuffing, e.g. Bamboo vs. polyester are different prices and cotton can be very expensive depending on the pattern design, and quality.
Then I look at Time.

How long did that particular doll take to make? Did I have to cut lots of felt out using up my Freezer paper stash? Does the owl take me longer than the bunny? Did I make an outfit to go along with the doll too?



Now let’s look at Talent.

Did I hand embroider the face vs paint it? Did I use felt appliqués instead? Did I add some trim and different additional appliqués to the doll not called for in the pattern? Are all my seams straight and neat, would I like to buy this doll?



Market, competition, what’s out there?

Research your market.

If you’re selling online, e.g. etsy, see what others charge for similar items (but remember to take quality materials etc into account, you need to compare apples with apples!)

Personally, as you all have seen how detailed my patterns are, I like to go above and beyond what is available. With such a saturated market place such as etsy, you need to stand out from the crowd. Whether it’s amazing customer service, beautiful packaging, or eco friendly materials etc you need to try and find your niche.

If I am doing a craft market I like to know who else is out there and what they are charging, and if they are even selling. Do your homework and go to the market as a ‘customer’ before you set up a stall.

Remember to factor in these additional cost, such as renting your space or online transaction fees.




Ok …. So know I am sure you are just baffled!!! But pricing really all depends on what you have spent, how much is your time worth and what your market is willing to pay.

At the end of the day my best advice is to test the market, try different price points and see what your clients in your area are interested in. You want to be able to sell your toys and see happy little kiddies smiling faces  as they hug them …. :)   ... but you must be fair to yourself & talent too!

Good luck!



If you sell Dolls And Daydreams Softies and Dolls online
 or at a local market please leave your details
(name, link or street address of venue etc)
in a comment below as I am often contacted for finished dolls
and I would love to help all you talented softie dolly makers get exposure!

 Happy Sewing from Sarah
Related Posts with Thumbnails